Sunday, July 30, 2017

Week 1: Fearless Predictions

Tuesday will be an exciting day as the USFL/WFL kicks off its first season. As I said in my earlier post, preseason results don't offer much clarity and this is a first-year league where a lot of strange things are likely to happen. But in the interest of fun and games, I will look at some trends I observed during the preseason and offer some fearless predictions for the 1974 season.

Division Winners
American:
San Jose SaberCats (Pacific), Portland Storm (West), San Antonio Gunslingers (Southwest), Detroit Wheels (Midwest)
National:
Florida Blazers (Southeast), New Orleans VooDoo (South), Washington Federals (Atlantic), Boston Breakers (East).

Wild Card
Chicago Blitz, Arizona Wranglers (American); Shreveport Steamer, Philadelphia Bell (National)

World Bowl I
Boston Breakers 31, Detroit Wheels 27

Boston made no secret of its strategy during the preseason ... win NOW. The Breakers currently have 18 players on their roster that have between 10 and 15 seasons of pro experience. They have only three players with fewer than five years (three rookies). Injuries, retirements, and salary cap issues will eventually force a rebuild. But, for now, the Breakers are the team to beat.



I have no idea whether the Detroit Wheels or Chicago Blitz will win the Midwest Division. I do think that whoever does will end up in World Bowl I opposite the Breakers. I have no idea if Birmingham or Shreveport will claim the wild card spot in the National Conference.

I forsee a three-way battle in the Pacific and West divisions and any of the four teams could win the Atlantic. I think the teams that will come on strongest at the end of the season and knock off some contenders are the New Jersey Generals, Honolulu Hawaiians, Oklahoma Outlaws, and Cleveland Thunderbolts.

Best of luck to ALL teams. I think this first year promises a lot of unpredictability, which means only a fool would offer predictions.