Friday, October 20, 2017

Studying the QBs

What follows is a brief statistical study of the quarterbacks in our league. I hope to be able to do this for all positions as we move along, but I don't want to promise anything. My wife and I bought a fixer-upper and we are still fixing up. Saturday we caulk. Sunday, we rest. Monday we hang new interior doors. And so it goes. Maybe some of you have been there.

Victor Gorman, Stars
For the purposes of this study, I limited each team to two QBs. We have teams that are keeping five QBs on their roster. Why, I don't know. My teams experience too many injuries to keep a bunch of guys sitting around getting paid for nothing. I counted Victor Gorman of the Baltimore Stars as both QB1 and QB2, since he has no backup (the MFN equivalent of playing "chicken").

I used my weights. I classified QB1 as those with the highest rating. I only saw three instances where the QB with a lower rating was actually starting, and one of those was due to an injury.

Here goes:

QB Average: 68.15
QB1 Average: 75.63
QB2 Average: 62.69

Agustin Crook, Stallions
Four highest QB1: Agustin Crook, Birmingham Stallions, 88; William Hill, Portland Storm; Les Lacy, Oakland Invaders, and Gene Nowlin, Los Angeles Express, 85.

Four lowest QB1: Victor Gorman, Baltimore Stars, 64; George Melton, Charlotte Hornets, 65; David Judkins, Orlando Renegades, and Henry Prieto, Detroit Wheels, 67.

Four highest QB2: Brandon Robertson, Michigan Panthers, 76 (Robertson is actually starting, but my weights have backup Michael London at 77); Ty Fleming, Jacksonville Bulls, 73 (Fleming is also starting); Roger Boyer, Boston Breakers, 72; Adam Schroeter, Washington Federals, 70.

Four lowest QB2: Carlos Miller, San Antonio Gunslingers, 47; Bill Rodriguez, Chicago Blitz, 49; Willie Skinner, Memphis Showboats, and Cody Joseph, Denver Gold, 56.